Hamerton Toby, the miniature Mediterranean donkey is very friendly, although he does like to get his own way. At the age of four a donkey is physically and mentally mature enough for its serious education to begin (just as children start school at four or five). Donkeys came to England when the Romans invaded Britain in the year AD43 and they make wonderful guard animals. Keep an eye out for a few more donkeys at the farm park, can you find out their names?
Farmer Palmer says...
• A male donkey is called a jack. A girl is a jenny and, like the ponies, the babies are called foals.
• They make an Eee Orr sound.
• How many hooves can you see?
• Can you see the difference between a donkey's ears and a pony's ears?
• A donkey's coat is not waterproof.
Farmer Palmer's animals are traditional farm animals, together with popular pet animals like guinea pigs and rabbits. They are taken care of by our dedicated team in the Animal Barn in line with Defra's Farm Animal Welfare Council's Five Freedom Advice.
Our ponies adore praise and are eager to please, most of the time. In the summer they live outside in the field or paddock and eat grass and a little pony food. In the winter they come in and eat hay. They must always have fresh, clean water.